OIA India Eye Care Centre
OIA has opened a 15-bed dedicated non-profit OIA Eye Care Centre in March 2014, located in the campus of the Zewditu Memorial Hospital at Addis Ababa. The state-of-the-art facility was inaugurated by the Honorable President of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, H. E. Dr. Mulatu Teshome. This two-storey modern ophthalmology centre rests on 2,000 square metres of land. It has an In-house training centre for surgeons, paramedic and administrative staff to build local human resources. This facility has been built in collaboration with the Indian Centre of Excellence, which provides expert advisory and consultancy services till the hospital becomes financially and operationally sustainable.
Our endeavour is to give citizens world-class eye care services at affordable cost through our holistic eye care centre. We wish to cater to the eye care needs of people in Ethiopia and provide quality comprehensive eye care services to all citizens. Our aim is to treat 1 lakh patients each year at our two-storey Ophthalmology Centre at the campus of Zewditu Memorial Hospital, Addis Ababa, with state-of-the-art facilities.
A New Endowment Initiative by OIA
The Centre, a corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative of OIA, functions through a unique Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, and is managed by an independent Endowment Board whose members include the CEO of Zewditu Hospital, senior representatives of Health Bureau and Ministry of Finance, Ethiopia, a representative from the Indian Embassy in Ethiopia and a representative of OIA. A first for Africa, this endowment is a stepping stone towards stronger public private partnership for the welfare of the people. At ‘OIAAHWE’, our endeavour is to give citizens and fellow beings world class services at affordable cost, and this exercise of the Customer Contact Program has enabled us to successfully understand the scope of the project which is, offering holistic eye care centre as a gift to the African fraternity.
- Improving the quality of life through provision of holistic and quality Health Services
- Government’s Efforts for sustainable high-quality healthcare services by establishing an ultra-modern Ophthalmology Centre of Excellence
- Developing local human resource capacity by training in healthcare services
- Catering to eye-care needs in Ethiopia and providing comprehensive eye-care services
- To support government effort for sustainable high quality health care services by establishing OIAIECC in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- To develop local human resource capacity by training 100 persons in three years for sustainable impact in healthcare services
- To cater the eye care needs in Ethiopia and provide good quality comprehensive eye care services to all citizens’
- To cater to the gaps in health care needs in Ethiopia
- To examine 120,000 patients and operate 12,500 patients for eye surgeries during the three years of project implementation period
What We Aim For :
- To treat 100,000 patients per year
- To perform 10,000 sight restoring surgeries per year
- To introduce Mobile Eye Care Clinics for treatment in remote locations